This episode had a very "animals in a cage/experiment" feel to it. The zoo-like setting. Sawyer's attempts at food (fish bisquit, any one?). Jack behind glass. Ben (he'll always be Henry to me) playing bad Other to Juliet's good Other.
As for the flashbacks, what a revelation that it was Jack that caused his father to start drinking again.
Best Line: "The next two weeks are going to very unpleasant." (For us the viewer, however, the next six weeks are going to be a joy!)
Did You Notice?
- Juliet's CD choice was "Downtown" by Petula Clark. Old song, new technology.
- One of the book club members was named Adam, same as Shannon's father.
- The book choice was "Carrie" by Stephen King.
- In Jack's flashback in the car watching Sara, the song that was playing was "Moonlight Serenade" by Glenn Miller. This was the same song that Sayid and Hurley heard last season when they got the radio to work. Interesting choice since in reality Glenn Miller himself boarded a plane in 1944 and disappered. Neither he nor the plane was ever found. Cue Twilight Zone music.
- So when Mr. Friendly (as he is refered to in the cast listing) told Kate she's not his type, did he mean he doesn't like brunettes or just girls in general?
- The Communicate box amidst the static broadcasted Jack's dad's voice saying "Let it go, Jack."
- I wonder if Carl (or as Saywer called him, Chachi) is actually an Other who was testing Sawyer's reactions.
- The Dharma logo for the Hydra Station incorporated the Greek nine-headed sea serpent in it's design. Hydra is also Latin for water. Appropriate. (I told you the Others were underwater.)
- Mr. Friendly mentions Sawyer's cage was previously occupied by bears. I'm guessing these were of the polar variety. And Juliet confirms the aquarium once held dolphins as well as sharks. Strange that Jack would mention the sharks since it was only Sawyer and Michael on the raft that encountered one.
The Numbers - 4 8 15 16 23 42 (and sometimes 108)
Okay maybe I missed something (hard to believe I know), but I do not believe there was a single occurence of any of The Numbers. The closest was Jack's dad being sober for 50 days (42 + 8) and that's a stretch.
Previews
Looks like the next episode will be action-packed. Until next week (or sooner if I uncover any more tidbits), see you then!
2 comments:
Brian, great site. Thank you. Two thoughts I had:
1)Did you notice how Juliet talks about the others like, "lets not focus on what we were, but what we are now". I think that is very interesting.
2)Going from memory is it correct to say that in all the flashbacks, we have never seen an other.
What do you think Brian?
Liz:
1. I need to check into the wanted poster. I have yet to read about that online.
2. I saw the rumors about Mr. Friendly in the hospital but the screen shots I've seen clearly indicate it is not the same actor.
Terry:
1. I definitely think the Others have gone through a transition on the island since they first signed up for the project. It may not have turned out like they expected. It seems especially evident with Juliet. Did you notice her resigned look in the opening moments when she saw herself in the mirror? Only the song lyrics seemed to cheer her up.
2. Regarding Others in flashback: We did see them in Claire's memories of the medical station when she was captive. But this was the first flashback that featured them in their "natural habitat".
Post a Comment